Emmy Awards: HBO, Jon Hamm and Viola Davis win big
So a few things happened at the Emmys last night. Some people won awards, host ANDY SAMBERG told a few funny jokes . . . it was about as mildly entertaining as the Emmys usually are. And then TRACY MORGAN showed up.
He made a surprise appearance to announce the night’s last award, Best Drama Series . . . which went to “Game of Thrones”. He was pretty emotional, but he was also able to crack a few jokes.
He said, quote, “It’s been a long road back. I suffered a traumatic brain injury that put me in a coma for eight days. When I finally regained consciousness, I was just ecstatic to learn I wasn’t the one who messed up.
“Only recently I’ve started to feel like myself again. Which means a whole lotta y’all women are gonna get pregnant at the after-party. It’s goin’ down.”
As for the other awards, “Veep” won Best Comedy, dethroning “Modern Family” for the first time since 2009 . . . JON HAMM FINALLY won Best Actor in a Drama for“Mad Men” . . .
And VIOLA DAVIS became the first African American woman to win Best Actress in a Drama, for “How to Get Away with Murder”. She used her speech to call for equality for black women in Hollywood.
Meanwhile, JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS won Best Actress in a Comedy for “Veep”, and JEFFREY TAMBOR won the male equivalent for “Transparent”.
Five Emmy Randoms
- People are FREAKING because they ran a tribute to all the shows that went off the air, like “Mad Men”, “Sons of Anarchy”, “True Blood”, and “Nurse Jackie” . . . and they SPOILED THE ENDINGS of all of them.
- Emmy host ANDY SAMBERG gave out a legit HBO Now username and password so people could watch it FREE. Sources say HBO was notified in advance and they were cool with it. But there’s no word how long the username and password will actually work. (Full Story)
- The “In Memoriam” segment included JOAN RIVERS and LEONARD NIMOY . . . but people are already complaining about snubs, most notably Batgirl and Christopher Lee.
- Here’s a collection of GIFS from the show.
- It seemed kind of weird and uncomfortable when “Empire” co-stars TARAJI P. HENSON and TERRENCE HOWARD presented an award together. (Full Story)
Here are all the Emmy winners you care about . . .
Best Drama Series: “Game of Thrones” (HBO)
Best Comedy Series: “Veep” (HBO)
Best Actor (Drama Series): Jon Hamm, “Mad Men” (AMC)
Best Actress (Drama Series): Viola Davis, “How to Get Away with Murder” (ABC)
Best Supporting Actor (Drama Series): Peter Dinklage, “Game of Thrones” (HBO)
Best Supporting Actress (Drama Series): Uzo Aduba, “Orange Is the New Black” (Netflix)
Best Actor (Comedy Series): Jeffrey Tambor, “Transparent” (Amazon)
Best Actress (Comedy Series): Julia Louis-Dreyfus, “Veep” (HBO)
Best Supporting Actor (Comedy Series): Tony Hale, “Veep” (HBO)
Best Supporting Actress (Comedy Series): Allison Janney, “Mom” (CBS)
Best Limited Series: “Olive Kitteridge” (HBO)
Best TV Movie: “Bessie” (HBO)
Best Actor (Limited Series): Richard Jenkins, “Olive Kitteridge” (HBO)
Best Actress (Limited Series): Frances McDormand, “Olive Kitteridge” (HBO)
Best Supporting Actor (Limited Series): Bill Murray, “Olive Kitteridge” (HBO)
Best Supporting Actress (Limited Series): Regina King, “American Crime” (ABC)
Best Reality Host: Jane Lynch, “Hollywood Game Night” (NBC)
Best Structured Reality Program: “Shark Tank” (ABC)
Best Unstructured Reality Program: “Deadliest Catch” (Discovery)
Best Reality-Competition Program: “The Voice” (NBC)
Best Variety Talk Series: “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” (Comedy Central)
Best Variety Sketch Series: “Inside Amy Schumer” (Comedy Central)
Best Variety Special: “The Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special” (NBC)
(You can find a complete list of the winners and nominees at Emmys.com.)